BREAKING: Obama official admits: Attack on our consulate in Benghazi was "a terrorist attack"

September 20, 2012

 The Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was in fact "a terrorist attack" and the U.S. government has indications that members of al Qaeda were directly involved, a top Obama administration official said Wednesday morning.

"I would say yes, they were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy," Matt Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, said Wednesday at a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, in response to questioning from Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-CT) about the attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

As for who was responsible, Olsen said it appears there were attackers from a number of different militant groups that operate in and around Benghazi, and said there are already signs of al Qaeda involvement.

"We are looking at indications that individuals involved in the attack may have had connections to al Qaeda or al Qaeda's affiliates; in particular, al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb," he said.

The U.S. government just isn't sure yet whether the terrorist attack was pre-planned or whether it was an example of terrorists taking advantage of protests against an anti-Islam film, Olsen said.

"It appears that individuals who were certainly well-armed seized on the opportunity presented as the events unfolded that evening and into the morning hours of September 12th. We do know that a number of militants in the area, as I mentioned, are well-armed and maintain those arms. What we don't have at this point is specific intelligence that there was a significant advanced planning or coordination for this attack," he said.

His statements go further than those of the White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, who said last week that the protests in Cairo and Benghazi were a reaction to the video and not a pre-planned attack. Today, Carney didn't repeat the assertion that the video was solely to blame, but he said again that there is no evidence the Benghazi attack was pre-planned.

FINISH


blog comments powered by Disqus

Who's right: Donald Trump or Macy's?

 

mexico trump_macys_2015

Macy's has removed Donald Trump's products from their shelves because, while he stated that some of the Mexican people crossing our borders illegally are good people, some are murderers and rapists. While a true statement, it is not a "politically correct" statement, so Macy's has decided to pull his products from their shelves.

As a result of this, will you shop less - or not at all - in Macy's stores in the future?






10 year FSM Anniversary

'Insane': Oregon eyes different method for taxing drivers

July 03, 2015  10:05 PM

The "race between Oregon, California, and Illinois to see who will be the American Greece" might be taxed by the mile.

'Lovely': Condoleezza Rice, Jenny Oaks Baker perform Amazing Grace to benefit Wounded Warriors [video]

July 03, 2015  09:40 PM

A beautiful rendition.

How intrusive could the Team Obama's O-care lectures get? 'This is our future'!

July 03, 2015  07:26 PM

Separating real life from parody becomes more difficult every day.

Hilarious! Dukes of Hazzard car re-designed to be less offensive to the Left [Photoshop]

July 03, 2015  05:58 PM

"Just'a good ol' comrades."

Take 2: George Takei sorry he 'spoke in the heat of anger, and uncivilly'

July 03, 2015  04:19 PM

"Star Fleet Command gave him a call."

FSM Archives

More in Politics ( 1 OF 25 ARTICLES )