Defense Contractors say sequester will ‘shatter’ security plans

December 5, 2012

Key defense contractors said Monday that automatic federal spending cuts set to begin next month would hamstring their ability to develop critical machinery, equip military personnel and help maintain national security.

David Langstaff, president and chief executive officer of TASC Inc., said it would be "irresponsible" to allow the spending cuts, known as sequestration, to take effect Jan. 2.

"Sequestration ... will shatter our ability to execute the U.S. national security strategy," Mr. Langstaff said during a panel discussion with three other defense industry CEOs at the National Press Club.

The defense contractors urged lawmakers to reach an agreement on a framework to avert sequestration, which would cut $1.2 trillion from the federal budget over the next decade. The Defense Department would lose $500 billion over that period, beginning with a more than $50 billion cut to its 2013 budget.

"Cuts at that level are irresponsible at almost any way you look at it," Mr. Langstaff said.

Wes Bush, president and CEO of Northrop Grumman Corp., said that "getting to a framework agreement that would allow the nation to move forward is critical."

Dawne S. Hickton, president and CEO of RTI International Metals Inc., said the automatic spending cuts would curtail progress on programs that have been years in the making.

"What we're manufacturing in our plants today is going in a military program two or three years down the road," Ms. Hickton said.

FINISH

 


blog comments powered by Disqus

10 year FSM Anniversary

'Really?!? Call your office, pal': Obama marks Memorial Day with hardcore delusion

May 25, 2015  04:14 PM

"Seriously. It's like he's in a bunker being fed false info by yes men."

Buzz Aldrin's salute to 'those who gave their lives for our freedom' is out of this world [photo]

May 25, 2015  01:50 PM

"Proudest moment."

'Solemn ceremony': Guess how Hillary Clinton paused to reflect today

May 25, 2015  01:31 PM

THIS is hilarious!

Clintons march in Memorial Day parade (but it's got NOTHING to do with Hillary's campaign) [photos]

May 25, 2015  12:23 PM

Nope, nothing to do with Hillary's campaign whatsoever!

What happened to the gang truce? 18 people — 'so far' — shot in Baltimore this weekend

May 24, 2015  10:16 PM

And "thirty-three people have been killed so far in May."

FSM Archives

More in MUST READS ( 1 OF 25 ARTICLES )