Napolitano says more than 3,000 illegal immigrants applying daily under deportation reprieve plan

October 29, 2012

 

More than 3,000 young illegal immigrants are applying daily to take part in the administration's new deportation reprieve policy, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said last week.

Napolitano said a total of roughly 200,000 people have applied since the agency began accepting applications two months ago.

She made the announcement Wednesday to a panel of educators from across the country who serve on the Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council, as reported by The Hill newspaper.

The agency began accepting applications after President Obama in June made the policy change -- after failing to pass comprehensive immigration reform and during an election year in which he will again need the Latino vote to help him win.

The group accounts for more than half of the U.S. population.

The growing numbers suggest that whether Obama or Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is elected, either will have to further deal with the change.

Romney has been critical of the administration's policy, but has said if he is elected, he would not revoke permits granted under the change. He has also said his immigration reform plan would make deferred action unnecessary.

FINISH

 


blog comments powered by Disqus

10 year FSM Anniversary

FSM Archives

More in MUST READS ( 1 OF 25 ARTICLES )